- to express grief
- 靈柩下葬時, 送葬者默立致哀。
- The mourners stood in silent tribute as the coffin was laid to rest.
- All the flags were flying at half-mast, ie in honour of a famous dead person.
- Many came to do the dead man homage.
- Flags were at half mast everywhere on the day of the president's funeral.
- The national flag flew at half-mast in mourning in the centre of tian an men square.
- I condole with you upon the loss of your mother.
- The mourner stand in silent tributes as the coffin is laid to rest.
- On remembrance sunday every year in britain there is a one minute's silence in honour of those killed in the two world wars.